Baptism in the Holy Ghost
Baptism is separate from salvation.
- Acts 19:2 – “Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?”
- Baptism is not conversion.
- Conversion is turning toward God and away from sin. Baptism in the Spirit (Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are the same) is something that Christ does for us; it is a gift from God.
- John 14:13 Jesus said: “Whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do.”
- John 14:26 “But the comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name.”
- Luke 11:13 “The Father will give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him.”
- Matthew 3:11 John the Baptist is speaking: “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance; but he (Jesus) that will come after me is MIGHTER than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and fire.”
Baptism is a symbol of purification and consecration. Note the two baptisms here.
- Water baptism with immersion is when a person is under the water or in the water. However, the water is not in you. Water baptism is a baptism unto death to self, sin and the old nature of man. Romans 6:3,6
- Baptism with the Holy Ghost is spiritual immersion unto life with power and living waters shall flow out of you. (John 7:38). You are under the influence of the Spirit of God, you walk in the Spirit of God, and you are filled with the Spirit of God, for the Holy Ghost is in you. (1 Corinthians 6:19).
Baptism of the Holy Ghost and Fire
- Fire is often used as a symbol of God. Exodus 13:21, God is like a pillar of fire by night. Exodus 24:17, the glory of God was like a devouring fire, and in Hebrews 12:29, God is a consuming fire. Jeremiah 23:29, says that the Word of God is like fire. Acts 2:3, there appeared cloven tongues like as fire, as in a “Baptism of fire”.
- FIRE = repentance, dying to self, purification, a change from the unholy to the holy. When we are saved, God takes us out of the world. When we receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, He takes the world out of us. The Baptism of the Holy Ghost and fire gives a different presence to your being and you have a closer contact in your walk with God.
- The power in your life will be seen in your working relationships with God, and with people…they will become different. The power of the baptism of the Holy Ghost will baptize you into Christ and you will partake the very nature of Christ. You will have boldness to speak the Word and your prayer relationship will change. You will have the chance to operate in spiritual
gifts to help others. God gives us what we need, not necessarily what we want. What we need is more of His presence. We do become what we behold. The more you walk in the presence of God, the more the presence of God walks in you.
Baptism of the Holy Ghost
- Matthew 3:11 John the Baptist said: “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance; but He (Jesus) that comes after me is mightier than I; He shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and fire.”
- John 7:38 Jesus said (when Holy Ghost is dwelling in you) “out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water.”
- John 14:16-17 Jesus prayed for us to the Father that He shall give us another comforter, who is the Spirit of Truth, and shall dwell with us and shall be in us.
- John 14:26 Jesus said: “But the comforter which is the Holy Ghost shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance.”
- Luke 24:49 Jesus said: “I send you the promise of my Father upon you, but wait in Jerusalem until you be endued with power from on high.”
- Acts 1:8 Jesus said: “But you shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you and you shall be my witnesses.”
- Acts 2:3 (The disciples were waiting) “and there appeared unto them cloven tongues as of fire and it sat upon each of them.”
- Acts 2:4 “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.”
Acts 19:2 “HAVE YOU RECEIVED THE HOLY GHOST SINCE YOU BELIEVED?”
- The baptism of the Spirit is separate from salvation and is not conversion. The baptism in the Spirit is something that Jesus does for us; it is a gift. Conversion is the turning toward God- it is something we choose
- Acts 19:6 “By the laying on of hands the Holy Ghost came upon the disciples and they spoke with other tongues.”
- Luke 11:13 “The Father will give the Holy Ghost to them that ask Him.”
- Romans 8:26-27 The apostle Paul explains that the Holy Ghost also helps our infirmities: for we don’t know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us, and the Father who knows our heart, and what is the mind of the Spirit, makes that intercession according to the will of God. When speaking in tongues, you speak not to man, but to God. When you speak in tongues you edify yourself and the church, and you build up your most holy faith.
- Ephesians 6:18: We are to pray always in the Spirit.
Scriptures Reveal “How the Holy Ghost was to be Given.”
- John 14:26 Jesus said: “…the Holy Ghost whom the Father will send in My name…”
- 1 Peter 1:12 The Holy Ghost was sent down from heaven so we can preach the Gospel.
- Acts 1:8 Jesus said: “The Holy Ghost is come upon you for power.
- Acts 19:6 The Holy Ghost came on the disciples when Paul laid his hands on them.
- Acts 10:44 and Acts 11:15 The Holy Ghost fell on them which heard the word.
- Acts 2:4 They were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues.
- Acts 4:31 All were filled with the Holy Ghost and they spoke the Word of God.
- Acts 13:52 The disciples were filled with joy and the Holy Ghost.
- Acts 2:38 & 39 And you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Ephesians 5:18-19 Be filled with the Spirit and speaking to yourself in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Baptism of the Holy Ghost – Speaking in Tongues is “A SIGN”
- Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe…they shall speak with new tongues.
- Acts 2:4 All were filled…and spoke with tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
- Acts 10:46 Believers heard Gentiles speak with tongues. God is magnified when you speak in tongues.
- Cor. 12:10 The manifestation of the Spirit is from speaking in tongues.
- Cor. 14:2 For he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God. One way to speak to God is praying in tongues.
- 1 Cor. 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues…Paul spoke more than all others with tongues.
- 1 Cor. 14:26 When the Body of Christ comes together, it will be edified with tongues.
The Results of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost
- Acts 1:8 Jesus said; “You will receive power to be a witness.” You are effective and your example is important.
- Acts 2:4 Luke says that you will see a change in your speech.
- Acts 3:4 Peter and John to the lame man: “Look on us”. It will change your looks…a softer and friendly look.
- Acts 4:31 Peter and John say you will have boldness to speak the Word. You will be better able to stand up for what is right.
- Acts 5:32 Peter says, we are His witnesses. It will change your relationship and you will forsake the things of the world.
- Acts 6:8 Stephen had signs following him. It will change your position in God. You will advance in your work for the Lord.
- Acts 7:55 Stephen saw Jesus. It will change your vision as to how you see spiritual things.
Why the Baptism of the Holy Ghost?
- Matthew 3:16 and John 1:32 Because Jesus received the Baptism.
- Acts 1:8 Because you receive power to be a witness.
- Romans 8:1 Because you receive a Holy Life and you will walk after the Spirit.
- Matthew 5:6 and John 7:37-38 Because you will be satisfied in your spirit and your hunger within will be filled.
- Romans 8: 11 Because the Holy Spirit will quicken your body. Note: Quicken = dwells within (present tense, quicken) every day walk in health, stay healed. To make alive, revive and to restore.
- John 16:12 Because the Baptism in the Holy Ghost will guide you in truth. It will keep you from error.. Error from false teaching and wrong doctrine or the occult.
- Romans 8:26 Because you can pray supernaturally and your prayer life is alive. Intercession: The Spirit prays for you.
- Ephesians 6:18 Because you can always pray in the Spirit, anytime.
- Jude 1:20 Because it builds up your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.
- Because it was promised to all. Acts 10:38-39 – Then Peter said unto them “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.”
Prayer to receive the Holy Ghost
Jesus baptize me now in the Holy Ghost and Fire. Immerse me unto life with power. Fill me and create in me a river of living water out of my belly. Holy Ghost pray through me, I give you my tongue and my lips now, Speak through my spirit, praying unto God giving utterance in an unknown tongue.